Saturday, June 12, 2010

Tasty, dark blue dreams.

Last night I dreamed about Hogan's Beer: no, I've not heard of it either, and I seriously doubt it exists, but in my dream a friend who incongruously drank Fosters bought me a six pack of Hogan's and it was sublime. I can even remember the taste of it - sort of a cross between Coopers Sparkling Ale (out of the tap) and the American Schlitz beer but creamier and richer and just yum.

Which is all very weird because I can't honestly remember ever having a dream in which I could taste something, certainly not so vividly anyhow. Other aspects of this rather short dream were equally vivid, from the car we were driving in, to the space we parked in across the road from the grog shop to the dark blue can that the beer came in.

The previous night I had an equally vivid dream, albeit without the taste sensation, in which I was unsuccessfully attempting to empty an enormous warehouse with a very small, very old forklift. All rather weird.

The minimal research I've done on the interweb as to the causes of such vivid dreams suggests I was simply a little low on blood sugar (unlikely); that I had a big day at work ahead of me (no); or that I'm pregnant (um, also no). Personally, I'd like to blame the radishes, but as I didn't eat any I guess it wasn't that either. At the end of the day (bad pun I know, sorry) I don't think anyone really knows the cause of vivid dreams, which is probably just as well when I think about it.

Aristotle (if I understand him correctly) thought that dreams were little different to everyday thought processes, but in a sleep state we are unable to differentiate between the real and the imagined, and therefore dreams take on a greater significance and are left to run their course, whereas in the awake state our imaginations are cut short by everyday realities and our awareness of them.

None of which explains why in my dreams I apparently invented a new friend, a new car, a new grog shop and an entirely new beer which tasted wonderful and came in a dark blue can. Am I seeking new adventures? Well I'm always ready to taste something new, but I like my favourite beer - have done for over 20 years and see no need to change. Unless of course they decide to put it in a dark blue can.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment